Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Landscape Pictures and Bugs

Limited posting due to work load and then some off the grid time including some field adventures out of state.

This last trip reminded me that the lovely photographs of spectacular landscapes frequently fail to capture an aspect of our landscapes that can make a big difference in how we experience our landscapes - the bugs. I managed to capture some bugs in a landscape picture.

Wispy steam clouds above the forest are bug swarms 

I have no idea what the swarms were and they were limited to the tree tops showing up nicely in the late in the day sun light. These small bugs stayed up in the tree tops and for the most part the bug situation on the ground in this area was not at all bad.



2 comments:

Lockwood said...

As dense as those swarms are, I'd bet those are leks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_mating If so, they're some of the most extreme examples I've seen.

Hollis said...

Wow! I know very little about "bugs" but still ... that's impressive!