Friday, August 17, 2012

Notes on My Latest Eastern Washington Venture

I just returned from work ventures to eastern Washington. Good dose of the wide open spaces, agricultural activities, and Missoula Floods and as well as work stuff.

First my haul of goodies:

Walla Walla onions from my stop in Walla Walla

Peaches from the Yakima Valley - very messy eating while driving

Water melon and cantaloupe from near Royal City

I also got a good look at the Taylor Bridge Fire that has been in the national news. Conditions had improved for controlling the fire as previous high winds had died down, but the fire was firmly established in stands of ponderosa and Douglas fir, and I suspect the winds will pick up again over the weekend as the weather switches back to a more westerly flow. The fire did interfere with my work schemes as Highway 97 between Cle Elum and Wenatchee was closed.

Views of Taylor Bridge Fire from I-90

Wheat harvest is in full swing. Should be a good year again this year for dry land wheat farmers in eastern Washington. Second year in a row.

Stacks of grain near the mouth of the Snake River.

Typical dry land wheat scene in Adams County.
This year's harvested field on the the right next year's field on the left.

2 comments:

Sam Crawford said...

Some of the local glass shops will give ya a free dinner for two if you have your windshield replaced there

Dan McShane said...

Note that I was traveling in luxury and was not in the red Toyota. Attitude towards cars is still the same: if they run I am happy and a nice car and field work do not go well together.