Saturday, November 12, 2011

Winter, Wind and Whidbey Island

Sunshine and gravel bars on the Sauk River

Winter has arrived. It is the time of year to routinely check weather forecasts for planning field work and adventures. I did very well this week with a trip up to the Sauk River in the North Cascades on sunny Thursday allowing for pleasant conditions while trying to figure out somewhat perplexing problem. Felt quite smug as Friday was a far different day. Wind and a couple of rounds of sleet in Bellingham with snow levels dropping down to between 1,500 feet and 2,000 feet.

Big winds surged down the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Cliff Mass did a write up on the winds HERE


Wind chart via Cliff Mass and UW.

I was tempted to head down to the west shore of Whidbey Island to see how big the wind generated waves were. But I had some reports to review and research and writing. If I had I may have run into Hugh Shipman. He did make the trip and has provided several posts with pictures HERE. So I got to stay cozy and take a virtual trip.

No comments: